Monday, 11 January 2010

Withered Hand

I know very little about music but thankfully I am married to someone who does and who also has great taste. So when my husband suggested going to see Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra ( I love) with Withered Hand (never heard of) for some "collaborative carol singing", I booked the tickets. Obviously, Skuobhie Dubh Orchestra and an appearance by The Pictish Trail were fantastic, but Withered Hand are now my new favourite.



Hailing from Edinburgh and with lyrics like

I don't really know what I should do
Like should I be passing this bread along to you
And I don't really know what the wine was for
Cos if it was Jesus blood wouldn't there be more
I'm knocking on Kevin's front door
(Withered Hand, Religious Songs)

singer-songwriter Dan Willson (Withered Hand) accompanied by various musicians including Iceland's Benni Hemm Hemm, were clever, sublime and made me smile. With three records, Good News being their first album which was funded by the Scottish Arts Council, Withered Hand are well worth a listen.

No comments :

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...