Wednesday, 20 October 2010

A Night at the Theatre

I love dance and I especially love Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.


I first heard of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater when I was a student at UCLA. Discussing what life events had brought us to study in the US, a fellow student told me that he had left his home in Jamaica to study dance with Alvin Ailey in New York. I was intrigued.


Since then I have seen these incredible dancers perform many times and last night my friend treated me to see them once again as they arrived in Edinburgh to end their UK tour.


The spirit and energy of these dancers is invigorating and contagious. Not since their last visit has an Edinburgh audience got to their feet clapping, cheering and swaying mid performance.

The next part of their tour takes them to Israel and then they head back home.

Just another reason to visit New York.

6 comments :

  1. Great dance company! WOW! I can imagine, this was for sure an impressing evening!
    I love dance performances too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say; "Not since their last visit has an Edinburgh audience got to their feet clapping, cheering and swaying mid performance."
    I have not even ever witnessed a audience doing that half way a performance! Amazing...
    I love dance too, dance is almost allways beautiful to look at...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much energy, wonderful music and visually, stunning. It is exciting, beautiful and so very moving to see an audience captivated by their performance. And I can't wait to see them again - in New York!

    Marion, my other favourite is Nederland Dans Theater I and II.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes they are great! The Dans Theater has a nice "behind the scenes" video on their site, with also the sewing of the costumes in it...
    http://www.ndt.nl/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! They give me chill bumps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How amazing! I have been to some events by them here in New York, the company creates to most stunning performances!
    Love it! I am glad you contemplating visiting....
    XX
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...