Tuesday, 9 November 2010

Sculptural Knitting



Interested in all traditional handicraft methods, Sandra Backlund experiments with lots of different materials and techniques but 'it is [her] three dimensional collage knitting that is most significant.'


I am really fascinated by all the ways you can highlight, distort and transform the natural silhouette with clothes and accessories. I build my garments from a couple of basic bricks which I multiply and attach in different ways to discover the shape I want.


Up until recently, Sandra Backlund has been doing everything herself by hand, alone in her studio.


And I was really impressed that I had managed to master the knitting technique of intarsia and Fair Isle!

6 comments :

  1. Wow! I like that constructivism with soft material! Great find and thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed what she does with this technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing and for somebody like me who can only knit scarves, complete unbelievable... Knitting is back that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire those with the patience to knit--esp. these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, this is wonderful, and what photos!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...