Friday, 3 June 2011

Hats and Weddings

Lately, I have been getting a lot of requests for ideas on wedding outfits. However, I'm not too sure that I am the best person to give advice on what to wear to a wedding as a few years ago I made and wore this inappropriate Ossie Clarke inspired dress with an even more inappropriate oversized hat.

13threadsdress1

Misjudging the formality of the event and unaware of the hat protocol, ladies' hats can't be removed until the bride's mother takes off her hat, I sat at the dinner scared to move as my hat kept bashing the guests on either side of me and, truthfully, I wasn't too sure how well that button in the middle of my dress was going to hold! And all the while, mouthing to my sister 'take off your bloody hat!'

So this week, while practising, I decided that my hat should be wedding appropriate.

As my first attempt shows, or rather as my daughter so kindly pointed out, 'It looks like a turban with a pointy thing sticking out' and as Marion in her comment reminded me,  it wouldn't last two seconds in a breeze, I turned it into this.



Ok, very similar to my other hats but this one has more pleats, more height and made from dupion silk with a beautiful soft silk lining. An unfinished edge on the folded detail at the front picks up the contrasting colour of the dupion silk. And with all the wonderful colours that dupion silk comes in, this little hat can be made to match any outfit!

Something a little bit different, a little bit special and hopefully, wedding ready!

8 comments :

  1. Beautiful result Lois!
    I really thought you were joking about a bit, now I understand you mend serious business ... The height is just right and the little detail in the front is so nice... a wonderful summer hat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was joking Marion. Photo of me in the 'wrap fabric around head look' was me trying to look serious while my son giggled and then gasped in horror. And then all these queries of wedding outfits got me thinking, seriously...It would seem a quirky hat or head piece is not unusual at a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I was totally focused on your new hat I forgot to say what a great story you told us about the hat etiquette… The new hat is indeed a lot more practical and yes more beautiful for a wedding; as a matter of fact you can keep it on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dress and hat, however inappropriate! I suppose that's why fasinators have become so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fasinators!! Thanks Ruth, I have been trying to remember what they were called.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like 'the pointy things' lots of flare and style

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually love seeing you in the first dress and hat. I think for a luncheon it would be wonderful!

    I do think you should make fasintors, I would buy one!

    Be sure to enter my awesome $250 Giveaway from Tracy Porter!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so funny!! I love the wedding story! I have similar stories myself... You love gorgeous!
    Kelley
    The Hidden List

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...