Friday, 18 November 2011

A Process - Inspiration

I thought I would try, over a few, short, blog posts, to explain and show my design, pattern making, sewing process.

So, to begin with, there has to be: Inspiration



As you know, if you read this blog, inspiration for me comes in all shapes, colours, forms and textures. Sometimes it is a photo and sometimes it is a scene from a film or an illustration in a book. Many times it is a feeling, an idea sparked by the mood or the atmosphere of a place. But most often it is the drape, the structure, the silhouette created from a beautiful piece of fabric that inspires me to want to make a dress.

Vintage Balenciaga
And with a particular interest in the history of design and fashion, the inspiration for many of the clothes that I create, or would like to create, comes from my fascination and research into the cultural and social influences on the way we dress.

The following are just a few of the books that I often refer to.

Fashion, A History from the 18th Century to the 20th Century
The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute

Christian Dior und Deutchland 1947-1957

The Complete Fashion Sourcebook
by John Peacock

Forties Fashion from Siren Suits to the New Look
by Jonathan Walford

And, of course, the superb tumblr blog OMG that Dress!

For me, finding inspiration is the easy part...and the most overwhelming!

4 comments :

  1. What fun topic Lois!

    I agree if you say, "finding inspiration is the easy part. It always surprises me when people ask: "how do you have all these ideas?"
    Ideas is one thing, when to find the time to make them is the real question ... Looking forward to your continuing story

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking forward too!
    love to read about how you work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you and Marion, the inspiration is often overwhelming and the most easy part of the creative process, and time is often lacking but strangely time is the second most important ingredient for the inspiration to get ripe... Great topic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yayyy, how fun! I've always wanted to know more about your creative side, and I so appreciate this beginning--the inspiration IS the most overwhelming--sometimes one doesn't know where to begin because of the flood of ideas...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...