Friday, 9 August 2013

Jewellery Connections

And better late than never to have mentioned these very talented jewellers and their work seen at the Edinburgh College of Art Degree Show way back in June.

"My inspiration is drawn from my heritage and homeland. I was born in a small town in the far north coast of Scotland, well known for its historical fishing industry. I am surrounded by small abandoned ports around the coast, and have had a particular interest in fishing equipment used in the past and present. This inspiration is reflected in the lobster pots as a starting point for my graduation show work. This has evolved through stages of material exploration and settled at the combination of ‘weathering’ wood and traditional metal techniques."

Georgina Leung Silversmith

"I am questioning and seeking answers to my cultural identity. As I was on exchange, removed from my birthplace of Northern Ireland and my family origins in Hong Kong; I began to understand the relationship one has with their home. As a result, I was inspired by the nostalgic objects and remembrances of home cooking; paying respects to my childhood experiences of family meals and our interactions with the inanimate."


Jessica Mobley

"My grandfather was a florist and enabled me to understand and appreciate living elements from a young age. Reflecting back to my childhood and the memories I hold, I started to understand the reason behind my passion for nature, especially the beauty of flowers.   
"It is this excitement of seeing flowers in the distance and running towards them to admire them that I wish to capture. This feeling and these memories is what I try and replicate within my jewellery; from afar you notice snippets of colour and detail but once up close you can admire the detail and the beauty of these natural creations."




2 comments :

  1. Hi Lois, I've been admiring all the cultural and artist highlights in your blogposts--this one included. It inspires one to try something new. Thanks for these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for showing these interesting jewelers Lois. I particular Kelly Munro has lovely work. So nice to see were their influences and inspirations came from.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...